This is a project I did to use up scraps that were left over from our recent building project.
I called this blog champagne chicken scraps because I feel it is a touch fancier than my last project. Click Here for a peek at the other version. I am not sure how to make an enlarged pattern for you, but I am pretty sure you could enlarge this picture or freehand it. My dimensions are at the widest points, 8 1/2 x 9 for the front and back... The sides are 7 x 5 1/2 and the base is 7 x 4 3/4. The chicken head is approximately 8 1/2 x 4 3/4 and the tail is about 7 x 3 3/4.
Unfortunately, I can't show you the champagne cause, well, umm....It's gone. The chickens drank it..... They ran out of wine and just clucked there way in and drank the champagne...sure.... that's what happened. Anyways, whatever the reason, I CAN show you step by step on how I made it. I cut all my parts using a scroll saw and a band saw. You could do it all with a scroll saw but its faster for me with the band saw.
Next step it to sand all the parts.
Drill holes in the sides for the handles.
If you have a Dremel like tool, you can carve out eggs and straw. This is optional but it's kinda cute.
Unfortunately Dremel wanted no part of this carving on the chicken......nah I am just kidding. I just need more practice.
Attach the tail and head to the front and back. I use screws and glue.
Place all pieces together to form the basket. I use glue and staples to attach the parts.
Cut a piece of heavy wire about 3 feet long. Fold wire in half. Put one end in a drill and clamp the other end tightly. Turn your drill on and twist the wire.
Bend the wire to form the handle.
I cut two pieces of copper tubing, about 2 1/2 inches long. I use that to cover the sharp ends as shown below.
This is where I have left off. Those darned chickens drank too much and wouldn't sit still for their makeup.......Stay tuned for the finished chicken baskets tomorrow.
Have A Great Day
Have A Great Day