Jumping on the band wagon here. These are so cool and so much fun to make. I got the recipe from this awesome blog.....SEE IT HERE!
- 4 drops green food coloring
- 25 to 30 blanched almonds
- 2 eggs (1 separated)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup softened margarine or butter
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- Heat oven to 350°. Grease two cookie sheets
- If using whole almonds with skins, boil gently and remove skins. They should just pop out of the skins if boiled long enough. Soak in green food coloring. If the almonds break in half, this is good. If they don't, they are still usable.
- Separate 1 egg. Set aside the white.
- In a bowl, with an electric mixer, combine margarine, icing sugar, granulated sugar, and salt. Beat on medium speed until well combined. Add eggs, but not the egg white. Beat until smooth. Add the flour and mix. If dough is too soft, you can refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Make a ball out of about 1 tbsp of dough. Roll it in your palms like a tube. Place on cookie sheet and pinch the dough in two places to form the knuckles. Score each knuckle lightly with a sharp knife.
- When all fingers are formed, brush lightly with egg white. Place almond nails. Push into dough to attach. I pushed them in so that the back of the nail was kinda buried in the dough.